Friday, November 21, 2008

NaBloPoMo Update and Mia Bedtime Routine

When I committed to posting every day this month, I expected to be writing nonsense haiku's like:

Boredom setting in
Complacent posting beware
More days to go

I thought it would be a huge struggle to think of what to write about. With Zoe's birthday, Scott's extra travel, and the upcoming holidays and family visits not to mention all the amazing growth and development Mia and Zoe have been experiencing, there has been plenty to chat about. 

So, one tidbit about Mia for today. Mia is hilarious at night time. She is usually fussy starting around 5:30 pm and primarily wants to be with me. She is happy if she's being nursed or having dinner, but otherwise she is often not in the mood to play. Dinner time is fun though. She loves eating with her hands and practicing her pincer grasp. Bathtime is a whine-free reprieve, and she expends considerable energy trying to stand up in the tub before Scott or I can restrain her. Then she is eager for bed by 7:15 ish unless she's really heavily entertained/distracted. Only then can she tolerate going to bed any later. We maintain a very similar bed time routine with her as we did with Zoe: bath, change clothes, sometimes a little lotion or massage or whatever medicine she may need if she's still taking it, nurse, books, bed, white noise CD. The bed part is always funny though. I put her in her crib and she is like a sack of potatoes. She goes limp before I place her all the way down in the crib which means she often drops the last inch in and she rolls over away from me like she's already been asleep for an hour and can't be bothered by my distraction. That's it. Now that she's teething sometimes she'll make an angry shout out, but that lasts about 1 second.  Night, night Mia.


3 comments:

Rachel et Natalie said...

she falls asleep in your arms while you are reading, that's great!
I should try the reading after the nursing, not the other way around then.
I used to play some soft music but haven't thought about doing it with Natalie.
I dread the time I will stop nursing her.

Laurie said...

I actually don't nurse or read her to sleep. She's awake when I put her in her crib and then instantly flops over and zonks out. It's weird.

Marya said...

We'll toast to a good sleeper the second time around on Saturday. I'll need to make sure some of that rubs off onto me!