Thursday, November 13, 2008

Evolution of Language

I really felt like venting more about the a-hole that I dealt with last night at the pool, but instead, I've decided to be a bigger person and let it go and blog about something completely irrelevant.

I've been noticing lately that we have 4 languages in our house. It's pretty interesting to observe. Scott and I share one language. It's English with a bit of slang and the occasional profanity. Ruth and Aimee speak Spanglish with a dash of French because of the Bolivian style, for example, they say "ciao" instead of "adios". Ruth alternates between the ratio of Spanish to English depending on who she's talking with and Aimee slips between English and Spanish within any given conversation. Kids today, huh?!

Zoe speaks a combination of those two languages although she occasionally misses an adjective or misuses a modifier. She is more prone to English but clearly understands the Spanish. She often prefers to sing her communication. When language fails her, she uses her body to flail about and send a distinct message.

Mia has taken to babbling, tongue clicking and lip smacking to communicate. She's also using more hand gestures. Fortunately, she hasn't learned how to flip us the bird. Instead, she's more likely to fling her food to let us know that she's sick of being spoon fed and would really appreciate only being offered finger foods thank-you-very-much. 

Oh, and a fifth. Our dog Chloe barks. She's often easiest for me to understand. 

1 comment:

Rachel et Natalie said...

whaoooo, that's a lot of work going on there.
Natalie screams when she wants more food (to the delight of my husband)