One of our friends Elaine has a successful routine of nursing her daughter when she wakes up early and then putting her back to sleep for a couple hours. This worked with Zoe too so we gave it a try. Dark room. No eye contact. No talking. Breastfeed. Back in crib. No go. Mia is upright and chatting away. And then crying volumes if we walk out. Zoe meanwhile is in her room singing and letting us know each time the clock changes a digit. "La, la, la...mommy can I hammer at my work bench yet...la, la, la...THE CLOCK CHANGED...la, la, la..."
I used to love daylight savings time. The extra hour of sleep was so welcomed. Basically I love sleep. But, getting an extra hour of sleep only works if others who live within screaming earshot also choose to get an extra hour of sleep. Instead, we benefitted by arriving at the Diner at o'dark 30 and didn't have to wait for a table. Oh Joy.
On other fronts, nursing has become like an alligator wrestling match. Mia is so active and curious and generally mobile that I can hardly keep her still to nurse for a period of time. I remember this phase only lasting a few weeks with Zoe, and I'm hopeful it'll be time-limited for Mia too. Upside is she's hilarious and having a great time exploring the world. Downside is nursing takes a lot longer. Mia also developed a weird splotchy rash this week. We can't figure out what food caused it or if it was something I ate. We're pretty sure it wasn't related to the high fever from the vaccine last week.
And Zoe has decided to take a strike on naps. That would be fine if she acted like a decent human being when she doesn't nap. But, she doesn't. She acts like a tired cranky person. So, after 2 days of no naps, I finally helped her sleep yesterday by lying with her. Thank goodness. Oh wait...do I see a connection here...daylight savings time...waking at 4:30...no naps...My synapses are firing enough to indicate that there may be something here, if only I were alert enough to figure out what that may be...
3 comments:
I think your hidden talent is
writing!
Your accounts are very
colorful! :-)
Oh yes, if only you had enough sleep to be thinking coherently. It's tough to figure things out with sleep deprivation.
The alligator will calm down soon.
sounds too familiar, wrestling match with #2 while tryig to nurse her, no nap during the week-end. Stupid me, I was really counting on this extra hour to catch up on some sleep, well it did not work, it just made it worse in fact. good luck to you
Post a Comment